| CENTER PROFILE
Chinmaya Mission of Trinidad and Tobago (CTT) was inaugurated on October 2, 1997 (Gandhi Jayanti). In 1999, the Mission acquired more than 2.5 acres of land in Couva. CTT's membership began with only three persons and stands today at over 2,000, spanning throughout Trinidad.
CTT's heart is its Couva ashram, administered under the able guidance of resident acharya, Swami Prakashananda. Two new acharyas also serving at the ashram are Brahmachari Avinash and Brahmachari Hamerajh.
CTT sponsors an active, year-round program of courses and discourses on sacred texts, and devotional and meditation practices that are aimed at making the teachings of Vedanta accessible to individuals of any background. Spiritual, cultural, and social service activities are also offered.
CCT's ashram facilities include a temple and lecture hall, a high school, two pre-schools and primary school, the first Chinmaya Vidyalaya outside of India, and three residential hostels to accommodate students and guests.
The Vidyalaya has satellite centres in Debe and Gasparillo. New satellites will open in 2011 in Penal, Barrackpore, and Chaguanas.
CTT's youth wing of CHYK (Chinmaya Yuva Kendra) is actively involved in all Mission activites. CHYKs organize and participate in study classes, charitable and social events, spiritual camps, jnana yajnas, and cultural programs.
CTT activities include:
- Classes in Vedanta, Vedic chanting, meditation, yoga, stress management, from durations of one week to three months
- Satsangs at the ashram every Sunday morning, and other satsangs at various locations
- Jnana yajnas (spiritual discourses) on spiritual texts, held at the ashram and in other parts of the country
- Spiritual camps for children, youth, and adults
- Regular Chinmaya Study Groups for adults, aimed at deepening one's understanding of the scriptures and its application in daily life
- Indian music and dance classes
- Sanskrit classes
- Charitable projects to help needy communities and families
- Publications (print, audio, and video) for sale
- Annual CM Fundraising Dinner
- Shanti Yatras and Gita Symposiums
CTT completed its first one-year, residential Vedanta course in 2009.
| KEY COORDINATOR